[TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Pullout Strength

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Pullout Strength
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 22:57:03 -0600

On Thu, 02 Jul 98 19:22:31 PDT "Ron Youvan" <ka4inm@gte.net> writes:

>T A RUSSELL said:
>snip
>I don't believe a few inches of pullout will allow a tower to fall.
>
>W1EVT told me he decided to install insulators in one
>of his 140 ft Rohn 25 towers to make a 160M elevated GP.
>They had to loosen the upper guys to where they were
>almost hanging along the tower before they could jack it up.
>
>de  N4KG
>snip
>
>  Did he slack ONE cable until there was little or no tension, then
>move tho the next one?

        My understanding was they slackened them equally
        at each level.   N4KG

>If one cable loosens and the other two are maintaining tension, they
>will TRY to pull the tower over.

        YES, but NOT to the point of failure.  I had 2 trees fall
        on one of my guys after a tornado.  The top of the 130
        ft tower was arched over 1 ft, but the tower did NOT fail.
        Once the trees were removed, the tower straightened
        right up.  I had to retighten the guys.  I assumed they
        stretched.    N4KG

>If ONE (or two) legs "KINK" she* will come down.

        Not likely.  As in the above case, they are more likely to
        arch.     N4KG

>With out any wind, a tower will stand with NO guy cables, without any
>problems. (assuming it is plum)
>Guy cables add loading to the tower, they pull down on the tower,
>pretty much their weight + the tension.

        Understand.  Agree.

>The higher the tension the greater the chance of tower failure.
>There is a correct tension, any MORE IS BAD!

        A few inches stretch in one guy point is not
        likely to put a permanent bend in the tower.
        Tower is a lot more  flexible than you imagine.
        N4KG

>* anything with speed, beauty, style or grace is often refered to in
>the feminen gender!
>
>      73  de Ron ka4inm@qsl.net    Best Regards

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]