[TowerTalk] Mosley 2 element 40M Beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mosley 2 element 40M Beam
From: wa3gin@erols.com (David Jordan)
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 10:04:18 -0400

Hi Folks,

Twenty-five years ago I had a two element Mosley 40M Beam. The boom was
steel, about
1.5inches in diameter. The elements were supported by 8ft tapered
redwood 2X4s. On top of the two by fours were 4inch ceramic insulators
with 1/4inch threaded rod. The
aluminum elements were drilled and connected with lock washers and nuts.
No swaged elements on this beauty. The antenna weighed in about about
85lbs. The antenna was center loaded. I can't remember how long the
elements were...

The antenna had good front to back and appeared to have gain over my
dipole antenna.

The question for the group is how much better is linear loading, traps,
or center loading
both ends of an element over the simple center element loading that
Mosley used?.
I've read that linear and center loading is better but can you really
hear 1db? <:-)
I've had plenty of feedback that linear loading is a nightmare to
maintain, etc. The simplicity
of center loading from a mechanical perspective may outweigh the extra
db gained by
alternative loading techniques.

thoughts,
dave