[TowerTalk] quad v. yagi, actual anecdotal experience

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] quad v. yagi, actual anecdotal experience
From: ke3q@erols.com (Richard Boyd)
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 20:09:52 -0400
    At one point I had both a 4-el Skylane quad (plus 2-el on 40) and
yagis (8/8 on 15M, 3-el on 40).  I mention those bands because I did single
band 15 in DX contests a couple times.  Generally I ran Europe on the 8/8
(Telrex).  I found the quad   particularly useful when the QRN would build
up to a certain point.  Switching to the quad, most all the noise went away
and stations that were below the noise on the yagis could still be readily
copied and worked.  I found the same was true on 40, comparing a 3-el yagi
to 2-el 40 quad, the main advantage being the lower noise of a full wave
closed loop antenna.  73 - Rich, KE3Q