[TowerTalk] How deep to bury ground radials?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How deep to bury ground radials?
From: aa0cy@nwrain.com (Bob Wanderer)
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 19:27:01 -0700
This topic was recently discussed, so you may want to check
the archives. The two main issues of concern, I believe,
are frost heaves and frozen ground doesn't absorb surge current.
I honestly have no information on how problematic these might
be in reality. My belief is that if you have enough ground rods,
and they're going into unfrozen and conductive ground, then
that lower layer will take care of the surge energy.

I had my lightning ground radial system only several inches
deep in Colorado, where I know for a fact that I wasn't below
the point where the ground freezes in the winter and it did okay.
Lightning is a rare occurrance in winter and I guess the real issue
is how quickly the ground thaws with the coming of spring versus
the onset of thunderstorms.

73,
Bob AA0CY