[TowerTalk] Antenna Tuners Part II

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Tuners Part II
From: w7why@mail.coos.or.us (Tom Osborne)
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 20:12:07 -0700
Lee Buller wrote:

> I started thinking what other tuners are being used out there that >might be
> more attractive and also work better than this old tuner I >have.

Hi Lee.
Well, I used to have a Drake MN-2000, and that was a workhorse, but
doesn't cover 160.  A friend bought a Yaesu that had the matching tuner
for my FT-102.  I swapped the Drake for the Yaesu, and  boy was that a
mistake.  It matched the radio very nicely, but that Yaesu tuner was a
piece of JUNK!!!  I burned it up with 600 watts, and it was supposed to
be rated at 1200.  So don't worry how they look, just how they hold up.
I have an old Harvey Wells Z-Match and it's good to about 500 watts and
a pretty neat old tuner.  I'm also using a home-brew one that works
better than anything else I've used. 73
Tom W7WHHY