[TowerTalk] X9 40m add on kit

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] X9 40m add on kit
From: W8EB@aol.com (W8EB@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 19:51:18 EDT
Not true Steve, get your act together.

I ordered the X-9 in April from HRO in Salem, N.H.  I was promised that the 2
element add on for 40 meters would only be backordered for two weeks.

Three weeks later I called Cushcraft to find out where the add on kit was, I
talked to Paul.  He said that they were having some problems but thought it
would be out just after Dayton, but don't worry.

At Dayton Paul told me they had problems with the tower from the wind storm
but that I should be happy for the wait because they now were going to have
the add on kit work with just one feed line not two and that the owner could
select the location of the add on so that it was not in a 180 rotation from
the main antenna.

In June another call and the same story.

Middle of July I call and am told by your receptionist that the add on kit
will be in production next week and should be out to the dealers no later than
the end of July.

Happily I call HRO back again and talk to Chuck, he said to me, did they tell
you it was a one element, not a two element?  I said no, and told him to hold
my back order.

I called Cushcraft again and now I am talking to a Lanny Marsh, (sp?), and the
rest is history.  To tell you the truth I got more upset with his constant
defense of what you did.  I told him I didn't think the ham community would be
pleased with being mislead.

Let me say that I waited for the X-9.  I am taking down Mosley Pro-57B that
has been up for 6 years.  I chase the DX, I wanted a great tri-bander that
would also play on 40 meters.  I was not pleased with the Pro-67B antenna
performance, I have a couple of buddies that have that antenna.  Had I known
that your antenna would not come with the 2 element add on I would have gone
the quad route and still use the HyTower antenna for 40, 80 and 160.

Let me say that I have been a very good customer of Cushcraft.  I and Ron ND5S
go to St. Maarten each year and operate in the ARRL DX phone and cw contests
and the CQWW 160 contest.  We take two R-7000 with us.  We have a special qsl
card that was made up for the contest, we operate as PJ8A.  On that card we
have your antenna listed.  We have never asked anything from you folks, we
like the antenna and how it plays and want others to know too.  I have sent a
sample card to Paul after I had a conversation with him about the 2 element 40
meter add on kit so that he could use it if he so desired.

The bottom line to me is you misleaded the amateur community and your company
on four different occasions told me that the 2 element 40 meter add on kit was
just around the corner, just have patience.  That is what you told me.

After my conversation with Paul in Dayton, I put the X-9 together, the boom
and all the elements are waiting for the 2 element 40 meter add on kit so that
the antenna can be completed and erected on the tower.  If you had told me
that you were having troubles and didn't know if you could make the 2 element
work, I would have waited to put the antenna together.

When  I talked to Chuck at HRO he offered to accept the antenna back, I told
him that was unfair to him, the antenna is put together and the three shipping
boxes have been tossed.  Now after reading your statements, I am officially
requesting permission to return the antenna for a full refund.  I need three
boxes from you so that I can return the antenna.  I am willing to pay for the
boxes and the shipping costs to get the boxes to me and to get the antenna to
HRO.

I am sorry.  Sorry that you guys couldn't have been square with the Ham
Community in the first place, sorry that you kept misleading me on four
different occasions, sorry that Mr. Marsh felt he had to keep defending the
one element rather than just saying, we should not have advertised the 2
element add on, and asked me how they can make it right.  Sorry for your spin,
it was not truthful, sorry that I had to type this response.

Bil W8EB