[TowerTalk] 4 guy wires OK?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 4 guy wires OK?
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 22:31:53 -0600

On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 21:54:11 EDT Mmoon3@aol.com writes:

>After measuring the guy runs for my 60' of Rohn 45G going up soon,
>I've found
>I can't keep them all at 120 degrees unless the guy lengths become
>less than
>60%.  I am now planning on using 4 guys, at approximately 90 degree
>separation, where I can guy at about 80% of height.
>
>Any comments about the wisdom/lack-thereof of doing this?  I wanted to
>use a
>torque bracket, but this is impossible with 4 guys.  If I do use 4
>guys, do I
>still use a guy bracket, and just put 2 shackles on 1 leg?
>
>Thanks
>Mark N3AVA/0

4 Way  Guying is 15% stronger than 3 Way at the same anchor spacing.

Rohn makes a 4 way guying bracket for their fold-over towers.  Perhaps
this could be purchased separately.

Another alternative is to place two guys on one leg and space the guys
equally at 90 degrees, symmetrically about the tower, at 45 degrees from
a line extending out from the leg with two guys.

Yet another approach would be to place one guy in line with one leg,
two opposing guys in line with the opposite face, at 90 degrees to the
original guy, and to make a Y on the latter two legs, joined a few feet
from the tower and going to a single guy perpendicular to that face.

To attach guys to tower legs without a bracket, I place a Preformed
Guy Wrap around the leg, including the upper and lower corners of
the Z bracing at that particular step location.

I hope you can visualize these word pictures.

73 / GL,  Tom  N4KG

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]