[TowerTalk] Dismantling Rohn 25G tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dismantling Rohn 25G tower
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: 13 Jul 1998 08:18:24 -0000

>TowerTalkers,
>
>       I'm getting ready to dismantle MY Rohn 25G. I installed this tower about
>ten years ago. It's 40 feet high with a CushCraft A-3 tri-bander on top. I
>have already removed my dipoles and misc. antennas.  I would like some tips
>and tricks as to getting the tower sections apart after ten years of use.
>Also , I am looking at getting a new safety belt. The old one kinda scares
>me :-)  !!!  What should I look for in tower climbing safty belts ? I'm
>5'7" and weight is about 140 , 31 inch waist . I would also like to know of
>any neat doo-dad's that come in really handy whilst on top of a tower ,
>tool pouch, buckets , etc.
>       Also , anyone know which wind zone Idaho is in?  I have a Rohn catalog
>from 1987, has much changed since then , should I get a new catalog ?
>Many tnx to all that reply !!! Great list !!
>
>73,
>Steve Hurst
>KA7NOC  ( southern Idaho )

Hi Steve,

I bought an automobile scissors jack at a garage sale and modified it by
having my neighbor weld some small steel angle pieces on the top and bottom
of it such that when I expand it inside of either 45 or 25 tower, it allows
me to easily separate them.  I also had him weld a small bar on the jack
where the handle used to be inserted so I can easily hand crank it on the
tower.  He also welded a short length of chain with a clip on the end of it
for attaching it to the tower so I won't drop it one someone's head below.

A tip for using this jack:  Insert it in the tower and crank it up against
the tower section horizontal cross braces.  With all the bolts removed from
the section you are taking down, reach up a couple of feet and vigorously
jerk the tower leg back and forth several inches.  The tower legs should
separate a little.  Tighten the jack again and shake some more.  Continue
this until the sections separate.

Works great.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com