[TowerTalk] more - contesting

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] more - contesting
From: ddjones@nas.com (Dale Jones K5MM)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 11:31:08 -0700 (PDT)
 Tom:
 It's all a matter of perspective.  During my "aggie" days at the Univ of
 Arizona, we had classes on artificially inseminating cows.  Part of the class
 was collecting the seman from the bulls, and the Profs were emphatic that
 they would work with Bulls that had NOT experienced the real thing.

 The moral there was that oncd those old bulls had the REAL thing, they
 could tell the difference when it was faked.

 I believe the same thing applies to contesting & antennas.  During my Oregon
 days, I had 6 towers up, big stuff on all bands and had fairly good access to
 ANYONE that showed up on the bands.  Now living in beautiful Washington
 state.....just below Beautiful BC, I only have a multi-band dipole.  Let me
tell
 you that from my perspective it is absolutely NOT as much fun working a
 ZL on 40 meters with this dipole that it was was a big Mono-band 40 mtr
 yagi up 150 feet on a tower, sitting on top of a big hill.

 In general, contesting is not nearly as much fun nowaways.  A few months ago
 someone suggested I try QRP.....I did that 40 years ago.  It was fun then, but
 it isn't much fun now.

 So....it is just a matter of perspective from the person doing the operating.

 73
 Dale  K5MM