[TowerTalk] Seperating aluminum tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Seperating aluminum tower
From: ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us (Kurt Andress)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 00:18:37 -0700
Bill wrote:

> I have three pieces of Heights aluminum tower that are stuck together.  The
> top two pieces came apart very easily when we took the tower down.
> Appeared someone had used a copper based antioxidant on the sections.  The
> bottom sections appeared to have been forgotten.  I have tried to pry the
> bottom sections apart using blocks of wood and a bottle jack.  I have also
> heated the sections.  At one point I melted wax into the joints to try to
> separate.  Any other tricks of the trade.     Thanks  Bill

Bill,
There is no magic bullet for this one!
Be VERY CAREFUL not to heat the material above 325 Deg F. At 350 F, you will
start to anneal the material. Then you get the soft "butter" form of aluminum.
Repeated heating and cooling, with water will make the mating sections expand
and contract against each other. This will help shear the oxide coating that
has swelled up between the sections. Penetrating oil will also help lubricate
the interface.
Another way to help break them loose is to apply an axial load (with come
along) to the sections and then locking one down and twisting the others with a
lever bar. Then try to move the sections laterally.
Good luck! Not a fun program.
73, Kurt

--
YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress