[TowerTalk] MFJ-259 VS MFJ-259B SUMMARY

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MFJ-259 VS MFJ-259B SUMMARY
From: amaertz@oppd.com (MAERTZ, ALLISON R)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:55:59 -0500
Greetings:

Thanks for the great information in all your responses.  I have included
some of the responses below in summary; they indicate the overwhelming
consensus as to which of the meters is the best purchase. Resources for
the meter are embedded within a couple responses. I placed my order this
morning!

73,
Reid--W0FVR

> Greetings:
>
> Can anyone tell me the differences between the MFJ-259 vs. MFJ-259B?
> can purchase the newer unused model for $40 more than the a used model
> and am wondering if it's worth it.

THERE A BIG DIFFERENCE, WE SELLTHE LATEST VERSION THAT SAYS 6F1 ON THE
INSTRUCTIONS. DONT BUY A OLDER VERSION YOU CANT UP GRADE. THE NEW ONE
MFJ 259 B VERSION 6F1 HAS IT OWN MICRO-PROCESSOR THAT ALLOWS MANY TESTS.
IF YOU'RE INTERESTED WE SELL IT FOR $184.00 PLUS SHIPPING (USUALLY UNDER
$6.00) CALL 1-800-626-0834 IF YOU DONT BUY FROM ME JUST MAKE SURE YOUR
GETTING THE LATEST VERSION (6F1)
WB0W,Inc

        Lots more bells and stuff...make sure the 259B has the lastest
software
        version. I just bought one and had to send it back to the
factory for
        replacement because the lastest version of firmware was just
released.
        By a new one from MFJ and you'll be happiest.

Get the "B" - it has LOTS more features than the 259. A write-up of it
and the new AEA CIA-HF will appear in my next CQ Contest column.

Reid, the basic differences between the 2 are a large number of added
functions, all of which are very useful. For instance, say you had a
fault somewhere on your feedline. ( your best buddy stuck a pin in it
and shorted it ), the B will tell you not only that the coax has a
fault, but the exact distance to the fault. It's now got an led screen
which reads out exact R, j, ect., factors.

Believe me, it's worth a lot more than the $40. Look at the archives
for June for a lot of discussion on the thing. BUT, don't buy it from
MFJ. They'll charge you about $250 bucks, vs $189 from Denver Radio.