[TowerTalk] meltable guys and lightening

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] meltable guys and lightening
From: oberjc@northsidecomp.com (Jerry Obermeier)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 15:31:30 -0500
Hi everyone,

     I want to place a grounded 25' metallic mast on the peak of my house
as a center support for wire antennas. I would like to use a relatively
thin (but sufficiently strong) gage of phyllistran or dacron rope to guy
the mast rather than using wire cable.  The top of the mast will be up
about 55', which is higher than I've been able to raise antenna wires
between trees in the past, so I expect I'm increasing my odds for a
lightening hit.
     It seems to me if lightening did hit this mast, wet phyllistran or
dacron guys might fail by melting if they conduct even a small percentage
of the current surge. Could this happen? Has this happened? Or can I depend
on a proper mast ground to safely conduct enough energy to spare such guys?

TNX,
Jerry, KB9ICE