[TowerTalk] Another HB9CV commercial antenna series

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Another HB9CV commercial antenna series
From: cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu (L. B. Cebik)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 21:05:33 -0400 (EDT)
  They claim to
> have improved the feed so it not only has better F/B than the normal 2 el
> beam but better gain (how does a feed system do that??) I suspect the
> improved F/B makes it appear that the antenna has more gain.

A ZL Special or HB9CV ar both variants of a phased horizntal array.
Another version is the Field Day Special, which W7EL published in QST a
number of years ago.

With proper phasing, 2 elements at about 1/8 wl spacing will yield more
f-B and a bit more gain tha the same elements when set for the best F-B
that parasitical operation will allow.  The same elements can be set for
more gain parasitical, but the F-B goes to pot.  Phasing allows on to find
an intermediate setting that gives about 20 dB F-B with about 6.5 dBi
free space gain.  A normal 2-el setting parasitical would give about 6.2
dBi gain with about 11 dB F-B.

The phasing system can be set for max F-B (a rear dimple about 50 dB
deep), but at that setting, the gain goes to about 6 dBi.  One can also
set it for max gain (a bit over 7 dBi), but with about 7-8 dB F-B or
less--the same as a max gain parasitical setting.

Not all combinations of element lengths and available feedlines pressed
into phase line duty will yield a successful phased array.  Since a
phasing system is designed to provide the rear element with the correct
current magnitude and phasing relative to the forward element for a given
spacing and set of element lengths--for a desired set of operating
characteristics, design can be tricky.  There are some notes on the HB9CV
at my site.

-73-

LB, W4RNL

L. B. Cebik, W4RNL         /\  /\     *   /  /    /    (Off)(423) 974-7215
1434 High Mesa Drive      /  \/  \/\     ----/\---     (Hm) (423) 938-6335
Knoxville, Tennessee     /\   \   \ \   /  / || /      (FAX)(423) 974-3509
37938-4443     USA      /  \   \   \ \       ||              cebik@utk.edu