[TowerTalk] Gain vs. VSWR vs. Feedline Loss

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Gain vs. VSWR vs. Feedline Loss
From: hwardsil@WOLFENET.com (Ward Silver)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 12:22:31 -0700 (PDT)

Gain is not VSWR is not Feedline Loss.  They are three completely separate
issues.

Doug's point is taken from the overall *system* point of view whereby net
effectiveness is reduced by high VSWR.  Possibly true, but the solution is
to determine your overall system goals and then begin to assemble
components in such a way as to achieve them.

Only by understanding component performance and the interfaces between
components can a successful system be built.  Our tests address only
component performance - that of the antenna.  There are plenty of good
articles on feedline and transmission line matching to help with the rest!

I should never write email at work :-)

73, Ward N0AX