[TowerTalk] KH7M's Concerns about Groundwave

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KH7M's Concerns about Groundwave
From: hwardsil@WOLFENET.com (Ward Silver)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 18:55:10 -0700 (PDT)

I keep checking the mailbox, but my helicopter kit hasn't shown up yet :-)

My personal *opinion* is that the results do include some groundwave
energy, along with a fair amount of energy scattered from the main lobe.

>From what I have heard about the various manufacturers and their test
ranges they use distances from 300 to 2200 feet (Boeing has one that's
about a mile, even.)  None of them have anything that can test up in the
air more than ten degrees or so.  Several sound pretty suspect.  I think
we're all pretty much in the same boat on this one.

Frankly, I would LOVE to have somebody put the same antennas on a 500'
open test range and try to validate the protocol.  Another possibility
would be to put them at the edge of a cliff and measure across a canyon to
a similar setup.  Just like those ultra-steep volcanic dropoffs on the
island of Kauai!

73, Ward N0AX