[TowerTalk] Satellite Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Satellite Tower
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: 28 Jul 1998 07:59:17 -0000
Hi Mark,

Let's talk about your PRESENT tower for a minute . . .

>Here's a question for all of you antenna & tower guru's...
>
>Two years ago, I erected my satellite antenna array on 30' of Rohn 25G.
>It consists of a klm 14-element 2m & klm 40-element 70cm circular
>polarized beam. There is also a 2' parabolic antenna (grille type) on
>the crossboom. I have a Yaesu G5400 rotor turning all of it.
>
>My problem with the last installation came when I had to work on the
>antennas. Pulling the crossboom was useless, so I tipped the entire
>tower over to make repairs, additions and adjustments.

How were you able to tip it over at all?  Is it mounted on a hinged base?
If it is, Rohn says it must be guyed.  I hope it is.

 It was a two man
>operation and I would like to eliminate that problem.  What do I want?

Rohn makes a tiltover kit for 25G.  It's expensive and it has to be guyed,
but it will work like you want it to.

>would like to find (or build) a 30' tipover tower consisting of square
>steel tube and use a winch to tip it over to working level.
>
>My local airport has a beautiful commercially made system like I'm
>describing. When I asked the airport manager about it's origin, he was
>nice enough to dig through mountains of paperwork to find the
>manufacturer. No luck.
>
>Has anyone successfully attempted something like this? Where could I
>find some plans to make such an item?
>
>Mark Fossum - N0NSV

I have never seen one of the towers you descibed as you saw at the airport.
Sorry, can't help you there.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com