[TowerTalk] Stacking

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Stacking
From: kb1h@chowda.com (Dick Pechie)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 11:19:05 GMT
 Not usually sending comments, I felt I would like to on this subject.
Probably like many of you, I have been a Ham for going on 35 years. I
have through all this time scavenged antennas of all types and
condition. Finally having time and room for multiple towers, I have
begun to put all this aluminum in the air. Things get VERY expensive
when you start erecting even "Free" towers of which 3 of 4 here are.
Phillystrand, turnbuckles, torsion assemblies, etc. There leaves little
"mad" money to go out and start buying all new (or used) antennas that
are of the same maker and model. I know all that has been written and
said about stacking unlike beams. I've read W2PV over many times and
have talked with "experts". Conversed with some of the "Big Guns".

In all the thread that has passed this last week or so, K4ISV, Bud, said
what I believed to be the best comments thus far. His experience with
unlike beams are not negative. Maybe not as good as like beams but you
get results with what you have to work with.

I have reached the following opinion on stacking(not too scientific but
"real world" practical:

1) Science always can predict the outcome. Like beams are highly
desireable and I think noone would contest that.

2) Like Bud mentioned, the real world has too many variable. When we
started here we argued over whether to use coax for matching lengths
from the same roll of coax!!

3) VERY BIG POINT - Any antenna on the ground gets you zero dB gain. Get
all that aluminum in the air!!

4) Even when stacking unlike beams, install them as if you will
eventually have like beams. This gives you a headstart on doing it the
"right" way. Install matching boxes but use them as antenna switches for
the time being.

5) With propagation changes you have to have options, options, options.
Again that antenna on the ground is NOT an option.

6) Maybe even on certain days the ying will cancel the yang and the
unlike stack will be better. At least you can choose from a high, middle
or low antenna all the time.

Again only my thoughts but I bet there are alot of antennas on the
ground that could be put up just to give you that one other way to break
a pileup or be the first on a packet spot.

73 Dick, KB1H