[TowerTalk] RE: Gamma matching assistance needed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Gamma matching assistance needed
From: n6cr@ix.netcom.com (Dr. Richard W. Musicer)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 08:55:27 -0500 (CDT)
Mike <no6x@inreach.com> writes:

>Can't I just remove some of the outer insulation and shield, leaving
>just the center conductor and inner insulation and slip it inside of
>the gamma rod (of the right ID of course) to the appropriate length to
>create my capacitance. Then just attach the shield of the coax to the
>boom. ??????

Yup. I've done it this way for 30 years on a number of different Yagis.
Works fine.  Latest projects however all use HyGain's Beta matching
system (hairpin match) which I like much better from both a mechanical
and electrical standpoint.  I guess it also depends on whether you like
your Alpha loading up 'nothing' or a 'dead short'.
Have fun es 73,
Rick, N6CR in Atlanta