[TowerTalk] Vines, guys and radials !

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vines, guys and radials !
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 11:54:19 -1000

Ok,  enough.

The heavy rains stopped about 3 weeks ago;  had lots of sun since mid-July.
So it was time this morning to run the lines in the outback to check
for vine activity.  Even if we are still having a few hundredth inch of
rain early each morning.

What a shock;  in three weeks the vine blanket was at least 4 feet deep!
Up the poles supporting my verticals;  up the guy lines;  and most
upsetting all over the radials.  This was/is obviously too big a job
for clearing with a machete!

I have never done this before, because of environmental feelings,  and
I really do like the "jungle" feeling near by.  But, this was too much.

So,  I bought some Round Up this morning,  and had at them.  I had
a tough time wading along the radials;  ever try plowing through super
deep vines,  with your ankles and legs constantly getting entwined
in them,  tripping and falling;  but all the time keeping the spray
from the Round Up going??  Lot of fun,  but the vines have got
to be discouraged.  Probably not a problem many of you have
had to face,  unless you too live in the tropics,  hi.

I sprayed about 2 or 3 feet each side of the radials,  all about
the tie  down points for guys,  top hat wires support ropes,  and
all about the base area around each of the six verticals back
there.  A vine was at least 25 feet up on one of the 80 meter
vertical guys!  Two long radials on each of the 80 and 160
verticals were completely hidden and buried;  the vines
in places being 2 feet deep over the top of the elevated
radials,  matted and so thick impossible to pull away from
the radial wires.  I hope the Round Up will kill them off,
allow them to dry,  then I should be able to clear away the
debris,  I hope.

Will know in a few days if this is going to work.  Anyone else
been faced with incredibly rapid growing vine problem?

73,  Jim,  KH7M