[TowerTalk] antenna decisions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] antenna decisions
From: KQ3V@aol.com (KQ3V@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 22:14:56 EDT
In a message dated 8/10/98 3:48:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dick.green@valley.net writes:

> ) Cut four 75-ohm RG/11U phasing lines (measure, measure, measure with a
>  noise bridge.)
I used a noise bridge when I did my 40-meter 4-square, but never felt
comfortable with the nulls I got.  When I put my 80-meter one together, I used
an MFJ SWR analyzer and cut my cables with the method described in "Low-Band
DXing " by ON4UN where you use a transmitter and a dummy load to cut them to
length, with the MFJ taking the place of the transmitter.  I also cut my
cables to 1/2 wavelength at double my desired frequency so I didn't have to
continually short and un-short the cables, as I cut them. I don't know if it
plays any better, but I felt better about the results, because I could see a
definite dip on the meter, rather than a subjective "least noise" reading.
73,
Bob