[TowerTalk] What Happens When Beams Are Stacked?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] What Happens When Beams Are Stacked?
From: w2xx@cloud9.net (J.P. Kleinhaus)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 11:41:46 -0400
Guy asks:

> Where is a source of incoming angle by freq, etc? Has anyone ever
> *Measured* incoming angles carefully?

Dean Straw, N6BV, has done extensive analysis of incoming angles
using IONCAP computer simulations for several locations in the US
and other parts of the world.  K4OJ suggests reading "All the Right
Angles" for an in depth treatment of the subject.  While Jim is right,
the data can be found in a more practical way by using the software
provided with the ARRL Antenna Book (the most recent edition anyway).

Dean wrote an excellent series of programs that will graphically
demonstrate what happens when you stack antennas. The software will
also allow you to overlay the stacking (or single antenna) patterns
over your terrain and the prevailing incoming angles.  It's the best
way I've seen to demonstrate the benefits of stacking antennas.

73, J.P. W2XX
J.P. Kleinhaus, W2XX  (fdba AA2DU)
E-mail:  w2xx@cloud9.net

As we say in the software business:  "You are hosed."