[TowerTalk] Crank-up in Minnesota

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crank-up in Minnesota
From: paul@eye.psych.umn.edu (Paul J. Beckmann)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 08:20:16 -0500
REQUEST FOR HELP

I want to put up a uhf/vhf/2.4G az-el satellite array here in
Minnesota. My city doesn't like 30 feet of Rohn 55G to hold up 18
sq ft of iced wind load (even though my house is 33 feet high).
Current design is structurally certified to 85 MPH w/ 1/2" of ice.

Does any tower manufacturer produce a 40' (or 60') that nests to 20'
heavy-duty crank-up that will take this iced load either in the
nested or extended position? What is the wisdom in dealing with
crank-ups in (occasional) icing zone? I've contacted US Towers.
How do I get in touch with HyGain, Triex? Anyone else I should
look at?

FYI: I'm in Federal Court with my City suing them vis-a-vis PRB-1
for denying the original application. A crank-up is their idea
of a compromise. It will have to meet EIA/TIA-222 just like
the original.

Best 73's
--Paul Beckmann, wa0rse@amsat.org