[TowerTalk] Plastic Owls

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Plastic Owls
From: aa7bg@3rivers.net (Matt--K7BG)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 12:54:16 -0600
At 11:07 AM 8-14-98 EDT, JLKrisel@aol.com wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>Checked out the tower install at W6OLD and noted the plastic owl. Anyone have
>any experience using these things? Are they effective keeping the birds off
>the hardware?

I've had pretty good luck with one. I wired it to a broom stick and dropped
it down inside the mast and it's been perched up there for a couple years
now. Every once in a while a bird or two will perch on the tower so I keep
the anti-aircraft gun at the ready just in case. The owl scares most of the
birds around here away though. The downside is that it has also seemed to
scare away P5, A5, FT5Z, 7O, ST2 and several others. None of these have
ever landed on my antennas. At least not while I was around.

73, Matt--K7BG