[TowerTalk] KLM & Other Conducting Paste

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KLM & Other Conducting Paste
From: rikik@inter.net.il (rikik@inter.net.il)
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 19:12:30 -0700
Reading Kurt's remarks about the KLM copper paste finally prompted me
to speak out about this subject.  Some years ago I installed a KT-34A
and (against my better judgement) used the conductive paste that KLM
supplied.  After about a year and a half, I had a lot of problems with

the antenna all of which were traceable to bad connections.  I found
that the tight telescopic joints that evidently kept out the moisture
were okay, however most of the looser connections of straps fastening
to tubing were very bad.  Especially noteworthy was the connection in
the matching section of the driven element  which showed 200 Ohms
resistance across it !!! Physical examination of some of these
connections showed deep pitting corrosion - probably to the extent
that would be called even "intergranular corrosion".  Obviously, even
if I had overhauled the antenna - completely disassemblying it,
cleaning it, and reassemblying it (using the right conductive paste),
the mechanical reliability of the antenna had been compromised by the
weakening effect of all the corrosion.  I approached KLM on this, but
they stubbornly refused to acknowledge that their copper colored paste

contained copper. They insisted that the paste that they used was
okay, and that I WAS THE ONLY RADIO AMATEUR WHO HAD EVER COMPLAINED to

them about this problem.  I felt that I had a valid warranty claim
since the conductive paste that they supplied was an error on their
part. However, I didn't pursue this matter any further as it was
impractical to do this from 4X. The moral of this story:  Never
completely trust even major, respected, manufacturers if something
that they're doing doesn't seem quite right. Before, proceeding -
check very carefully.  Had I acted this way regarding the KT-34A, I
would have saved myself a lot of trouble, etc.

Since then, I've returned to using  "Noalox" - a Zinc based joint
compound "...for aluminum to aluminum  and aluminum to copper wire
connections and aluminum conduit joints..."  according to what the
manufacturer (Ideal Industries) writes on the 8 Oz. squeeze bottle
that is very convenient.  I understand that this product is available
at major electrical supply houses (those that supply professional
materials to electricians).

I would be interested in knowing if anybody can substantiate if there
are any significant differences between "Noalox" and "Penetrox" (which

many have recommended here on towertalk).  If so, please give complete

details (what exactly are the differences, how this was determined,
etc.).

73,
Riki, 4X4NJ