[TowerTalk] US Tower MA-40 Telescoping Mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower MA-40 Telescoping Mast
From: wa3afs@soli.inav.net (Bruce Goldstein)
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 18:06:56 +0000
I used the Wilson version (the first version) from about 1980 until
1995 when I sold it as I was moving and could not afford to ship it
(about 247 pounds).  As far as I know, the person I sold it to is
still using it.

I had a Wilson SY-36 and a 2 meter vertical attached.  Never had a
problem with the tower (or the antenna for that matter).  The tower
was used in two locations in NY state and it survived the 'normal'
winds for those areas fully extended.  I did lower it for a hurricane
(we were about 110 miles north of NY City in the foothills of the
Catskills at the time).

I did build a 12 foot sawhorse to support the tower in its tiltover
position because the beam had a 24 foot boom.  I also bought a 12
foot 'A' stepladder so that I could work on the antenna with relative
ease.

Good luck and watch the wind loading since it is rated at 50 mph.

73

Bruce