[TowerTalk] Flat top vs Inv Vee

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Flat top vs Inv Vee
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 07:22:22 -0600
The apparent disparity between flat top and inverted vee radiators
most likely comes from the difference in heights between observers.

W8JI correctly stated that an inverted vee operates very much like a
flat top dipole at a slightly lower height.

When the apex height is greater than 1/4 wavelength (WL),
there is not much difference in gain.

When the apex height is 1/4 WL  ( 70 ft on 80M )  or less,
a lower effective height places the antenna closer to ground
which increases near field ground losses.

My "feeling" based on various inverted vee's I have used or competed
against is that there is a noticable difference in performace going from
70 ft or less to 90 ft or more.   When the support(s) are 70 or less,
it appears to be worthwhile to raise the ends as high as possible.

de  Tom  N4KG   (wishing my TALL tower was higher than 140 ft.! )

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]