[TowerTalk] Mismatch loss and tuners

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mismatch loss and tuners
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 06:40:25 -1000

-----Original Message-----
From: Walter Maxwell <w2du@journey.com>
To: DavidC <davidc@bit-net.com>
Cc: UpTheTower@aol.com <UpTheTower@aol.com>; towertalk@contesting.com
<towertalk@contesting.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Friday, August 21, 1998 4:01 PM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mismatch loss and tuners

>>David, using a pipe containing water is an invalid analogy, because water
can't
>flow in two directions in a pipe. However, electromagnetic energy can
travel in
>both directions on a transmission line simultaneously, just as it does in
fsree
>space. The forward waves travel toward the load, and the reflected waves
travel
>toward the antenna tuner. As the two waves slide past each other they
produce
>the standing waves by alternately reinforcing and canceling each other. On
>re-reflection at the tuner the two waves emerge in phase, and the
re-reflected
>wave adds to the source wave, thus enlarging the source wave into the total
>forward wave.

David,  I would suggest you invest $15 in the following piece of classic
educational material on this topic:

You may order a copy of this Classic Bell Labs video by
contacting:

HI-RES COMMUNICATIONS, INC.
Attn:  Floyd  Soo,  W8RO
8232 WOODVIEW DR.
CLARKSTON, MI 48348-4058 USA
(248) 391-6660, voice and fax
e-mail: hires@rust.net,   also a web page at:  http://www.rust.net/~hires/

The price is  $15.00 per tape,  and includes Priority Mail shipment
anywhere in the US.  They will accept an order via Credit Card.
Oversees shipment will be a bit higher.  If you are outside the US
please be advised this tape format is VHS,  USA NTSC.  If you need
PAL  or  SECAM,  please write directly to Floyd,  he can accommodate
you,  but will take  a different set up,  or something.

We owe appreciation to Floyd Soo,  W8RO,  for his willingness to make
copies of this tape available at only his costs!

I also received a very interesting note from John,  W2CYA:

    "While looking at a real QST from December 1942 there is an
article on VSWR from Bell Labs.   Really great.  Looks like
maybe from the film."

Perhaps this, at last helps in  pinning a date on this film/video!
Unfortunately,  I of course do not have a 12/42 QST,  nor yet
the CD which would contain it.

Anyway,  when you receive your video,  enjoy;  but watch a couple of
times the first   time;  there is just a huge amount of info that
goes by very fast!

73,  Jim,  KH7M