[TowerTalk] Guyed 45G Tower - Sanity Check

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guyed 45G Tower - Sanity Check
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 12:58:17 EDT
In a message dated 98-08-24 12:39:04 EDT, darrell.earnshaw@sap-ag.de writes:

<< [1] I am assuming that re-using the Phyllistran should not cause me any
 concerns, or should it? I've no idea what the lifetime of this stuff is.
 Currently, there are no nicks or cuts in the sheathing, although it has
 been in use on previous towers for about 10 years. Thoughts?

      Phillystran has been around for about 23 years so we know that it lasts
at least that long. Since then they have introduced a new jacket material. I
don't know if the new jacket has some advantages or whether it was introduced
to lower costs.

 >>[2] I am thinking of using a continuous (unbroken) length of 3/16th EHS
 for the lowers set of guys. Because that guy point is at about 35 ft or
 so, I'm assuming it's low enough not to cause any interaction with the
 antenna(s), and thus there is no need to electrically break it up.

      The ARRL antenna book has a chart listing segment lengths vs.
frequencies for possible interaction. Personally I'm not too concerned with
the bottom set(s) since they're out of the horizontal antenna plane.

>> [3] A recent exchange of mail on this reflector addressed the issue of
 "safety" guys, or 6-way guying. Although I have a tree company scheduled
 in the next few weeks to remove trees and limbs that are either in the
 way or overhang the anticipated guy anchors and guy paths, I am still
 concerned of other trees nearby being a potential risk. In the past
 there has been no husbandry or the trees on my lot or the adjacent lots,

 and thus there are a lot of large, old trees. (It's quite disconcerting
 to lie in bed and hear the crash as giant limbs fall somewhere "in the
 forest".) Would extra guys in addition to the main guys make sense, and
 if so, what configuration should I consider? Extra guys just at one
 level, or at all levels?  >>

     Top level only for 6-way guying is fine. There's no need for more lower
on the tower. W7XR had an alder land on his EHS double-guyed 40M tower. It
stretched the guys somewhat but no damage other than that. I don't know if
branches landing on the Phillystran will be a big problem or not.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC

Champion Radio Products