[TowerTalk] Re: Wind Pressure Formulas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Wind Pressure Formulas
From: ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us (Kurt Andress)
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 18:22:17 -0700
Bill Aycock wrote:

> Kurt- the problem I had, is that Steve quoted the velocity in Ft/sec (go
> back and read it, its there) and it should be MPH, as in the spec- I did
> not have access to the spec, and thought he was quoting, when he was
> paraphrasing, and, as almost any Engineer would, used the units that are
> more normal.

Ah, yes, I see it now. Went right past it the first time. Probably because
I've looked at that spec so many times, I just read the post for formula
format accuracy.

> I have been a competant aerodynamicist and Aerospace Engineer for amny
> years, and have written, reviewed, and used specs for lots of things. They
> are subjuect to error, and that was what I suspected. I think it is now
> clarified, at least in my mind.

I expected you had some background in the subject. Please understand that my
description of the 222-C formula derivation was mostly intended to help
readers follow the discussion and not be so breif as to create more questions.

I think Hank Lonberg's post today is appropriate. The spec's used for tower
design are intended to be easily used tools to design safe structures, without
requiring an expert, such as yourself to determine the loads.

Thanks for your input.

73, Kurt

--
YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress