[TowerTalk] My Fall

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] My Fall
From: k4ldr@sunco.com (Peter J. F. Shaw)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 15:38:49 -0400
Greetings towertalkians:

Chat about tower safety and falls truly is a reminder that we all
should pause and think, at least one more time, before making  moves
in the course of  tower climbing.   My (ex)friend in the Atlanta area
AD4NQ Paul is a SK (deceased) due to  tower climbing to rectify a
detail just before contest time in 1996.   He didn't assemble a ground
crew because it was only a simple task and wouldn't take but a minute
or two.  He started the project  before noon and was found on the
ground at about 1600; about fours without anyone knowing about his
fall and without any help.  He was alive when discovered but died
shortly after reaching the hospital.   No one saw the incident and
nothing was determined for sure about what happened.  He had a
climbing belt on with a lanyard end loose.   Paul was an experienced
heights climber as he had training in Army Rangers and Special Forces.
Why did it happen?  Ya never know.  (Only one thing I know for sure is
that ya-just-never-know!)

This was sobering for many of us local friends of his.   I don't climb
without thinking of Paul which, in turn, makes me take that extra
moment to think about what the result will be for an action I am about
to perform.

73,  Sparky  (the lightning king of Citrus County Florida)
Actually, I'm Pete K4LDR