[TowerTalk] Rebutal (rebuttal??) to Steve Best's "Initial State"Mismatc

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rebutal (rebuttal??) to Steve Best's "Initial State"Mismatch Arguments
From: pizzabob@TWLakes.Net (Bob Lovell)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 14:59:40 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Reid <jreid@aloha.net>
To: sbest@cushcraft.com <sbest@cushcraft.com>; kn6di@groupone.net
<kn6di@groupone.net>; towertalk@contesting.com <towertalk@contesting.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tuesday, August 25, 1998 1:39 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rebutal to Steve Best's "Initial State" Mismatch
Arguments

{snip}

>And when does the first reflection arrive back at the tuner?
>On 100 feet of typical coax,  say low loss RG213, which has
>a propagation velocity of 66% of the velocity in space,  the time
>for an RF signal to travel out the line length,  and then reflect
>back to the input end is 30 nanoseconds for the round trip.
>
>What does that number mean,  in plain English??
>
>Consider an RF circuit to responding  to such a short time pulse,that is
>for the voltage of the reflected wave to reach about 90%
>of it's eventual "initial value",  the bandwidth of response
>required for the circuits to be "aware" of this initial voltage
>would have to be 2700  MHz !!!   That is why even radar signals
>at microwave frequencies between 1 and 10 GHz are not even
>this brief; radar pulses below 10 GHz are in microseconds.

{yet another snip}

Jim, I was piddling around with my calculator and I got 308 ns rather than
30.  Did I miscalculate, or is your number off by a factor of ten?

Would this mean the answer to the next question is 270 MHz, rather than
2700?  Even so, I surely agree that your point about being irrelevant to HF
is still very valid.

Tnx & 73,
Bob      KK4TD