[TowerTalk] Leak prevention

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Leak prevention
From: dlhough@vegas.infi.net (Dave Hough)
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 18:32:22 -0700
> I am going to be bolting my tower legs through my asphalt shingled roof.
 Is there a better way??

        Don't know if it is a better way but it is an alternative. I built what
could only be called a saddle out of a 4"x8". The 4"x8" was cut into 2
2.5' pieces and 2 1.5' pieces. The longer pieces were notched to fit the
pitch of the roof (use cardboard to make a template) and the shorter
pieces connect the ends. The end pieces were grooved then the whole
thing bolted with 3/8" bolts.

        Under the roof we installed additional 4"x4" bracing to distribute some
of the load to a bearing wall underneath.

        I'm using a Universal alum. tower with guys to support my 60 lb.
Cushcraft X7. Beauty is that its easy to do and not necessary to tear up
the roof.

73
Dave, KC7DM
Las Vegas