[TowerTalk] re: Ham IV rotor repair

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] re: Ham IV rotor repair
From: K8LN - John Schaffner" <k8ln@neo.lrun.com (K8LN - John Schaffner)
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 17:27:43 -0400
Hello....My Tailtwister was up for 13 years.   Six weeks before the CQWW
contest it stop working.  The problem was the terminal strip needed
replaced.   Scott, K8DX came right over and took it down.   I opened the
case and small pieces of springs fell out and I noticed that the inside
didn't look the greatest.  Ordered and new one and put it up for the contest
season.  Later I called Hy-Gain, the going rate on refurbishing the bell at
that time was 95 dollars.  To service the control box was extra.  The turn
around was about six weeks.  What I didn't expect was that they replaced
three pages of parts.  If it was slightly worn it was replaced.   The
refurbished rotor was every bit as good as the new one.  The extra money I
spent was well worth it.

John, K8LN