[TowerTalk] screwdriver antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] screwdriver antenna
From: n1rui@together.net (James C. Marciniak)
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 20:05:38 -0700
A screwdriver antenna is a continuously tunable motorized vertical
antenna.

Picture a 3" aluminum pipe, about 4 feet long - inside that pipe is a 2-
1/2 inch diameter by about 18-inch long PVC (or other non-conductor)
tube, wound with approximately 120 feet of 16-guage solid copper wire.
At the base of the PVC pipe is a threaded rod, which runs nearly to the
bottom of the length of aluminum pipe, where it connects to a cordless
screwdriver motor, wired for remote operation. These motors can reverse,
so if you have a nut connected at the base of the PVC, you can extend or
retract the coil from within the pipe.

On top of the coil, place a 102-inch whip antenna - there you have it -
run the PVC up and down to resonate the antenna pretty close to 1:1 from
10 - 80 meters - more if you play a little. It's a little more complex
than that - but not much.

- Jim

--

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful,is the
basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is