[TowerTalk] Rohn Tower questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn Tower questions
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 04:43:55 -0600

On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 19:05:40 -0600  thomas@cybrzn.com writes:

>Gentlemen:
>Have Rohn 25g tower on ground ready to erect. I have the GA25 Guy
>bracket with TB25 torque bars. The holes which are punched in the ends
>of the torque bars seem to have rather sharp edges and I think will
>chafe the guy cables in time. How does one attach the cable to these
>safely?
        First, you did not say whether you were going to use
        Preformed Guy Grips or cable clamps to terminate
        your guys.  Guy Grips are THE way to go, easier to
        install and they do not work loose over time like clamps.

        Second, you will need to use a THIMBLE to prevent
        chafing / cutting on the ridge and to maintain the
        MINIMUM termination radius recommended for
        the cable size.  For strength, it is best to use an
        oversized thimble (2 sizes larger  cable diameter).
        This will prevent "crushing" of the thimble and is
        necessary even with a shackle.

        The ONLY benefit of using a shackle is that you
        can easily disconnect the guy from the bar, but
        then if you really want to remove the guy, it is
        easy to disconnect the bar from the guy bracket.
        Shackles are EXPENSIVE and you will still need
        a THIMBLE to maintain the proper radius for the
        termination.   I see no benefit to using shackles
        on the torque arms.       de   N4KG

>Also, I have a 4' piece of standard 25 tower section which I intend to
>embed in concrete for the base. Any problems with this?
>Can someone tell me which zone I am in for wind loading (60 mi.
>straight
>north Green Bay, Wi.) Will 3/16 EHS work?

        There must be thousands of towers imbedded in
        concrete.  How tall will the tower be?  If you are
        planning a TALL tower (>120 ft) and lots of side
        mounted antennas, a base plate on a concrete
        pad is best.  I have heard of  heavily side-loaded
        towers shearing off at the base in very high winds.
        (Well, one 200 ft R45 tower with 4 -  20M beams
        on 32 ft booms side mounted on it.)  The tower
        survived and additional above ground concrete
        was added.  Base in concrete works fine for
        shorter towers.  It helps to form the concrete
        to be above ground and to round off the top
        for drainage.  Dirt around the legs will retain
        moisture and eventually lead to corrosion.
        NOT a fun thing to realize after 20 years in
        the ground. (come see mine if you are in doubt!)

        The MAXIMUM recommended spacing between
        guys on Rohn 25 is 35 ft.  Most people install
        a set of guys every third section.   At this spacing,
        3/16 inch EHS works fine.    de  Tom  N4KG

>Any comments would be appreciated.
>Tom Hellem K0SN
>Porterfield, Wi.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]