[TowerTalk] Running Cables Into Shack

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Running Cables Into Shack
From: danq@quigleys.com (Dan Quigley)
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 09:07:57 -0700
In my last house, my XYL wouldn't let me cut holes in the ceiling or
create a false corner. So I devised this method. Total cost was under
$10.

If the wall(s) behind your shack operation position are not insulated or
obstructed in some other way (like a window, water/sewer pipe, etc). You
can locate the "header" for the wall in the attic and bore a hole large
enough to pass a length of 1 1/2" diameter PVC tubing. Be sure to do
this in the voids between wall studs and allow enough length to reach
the desired height on the wall in the shack. I put mine at the same
height as the 120VAC outlets.

To secure the tubing I glued a PVC reducer designed to convert from 1
1/2" to 2" tubing to the attic end. This keeps the pipe from falling
into the wall. To that I added a short length of 2" tubing so the
opening is above the attic insulation level.  I used a little "liquid
nails" to secure the reducer to the wall header. If you have more cables
than a 1 1/2" tube can accomodate, then add additional pipes.

Cut a hole the appropriate size (single, double or triple) ganged
electrical box at a convenient location on the wall (just below the end
of the PVC).  Install a "mud-ring" (a product which allows you to
retro-fit telephone/data cable connections and coverplates into existing
walls).  To finish up, just run your cables down the PVC tube and
through the mud-ring. A blank plastic wall plate can be drilled/cut to
tidy up the look.

When you sell or move, just remove your cables and add a fresh wall
plate or patch the hole in the sheet-rock.

Dan
N7HQ