[TowerTalk] refurbish a Thrust bearing ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] refurbish a Thrust bearing ?
From: leeonline@mindspring.com (F. Lee George)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 09:51:36 -0500
I sorry guys to reopen this can of worms.   But why do they call it a THRUST
bearing???

It is used to take most of (40-60%) of the weight off of the rotor.   Yes the
rotor is designed to handle it, but that does not mean that it wont last longer
without it.

It also allows you to use a longer mast pole and support it at both ends.
Sorta of like a axel shaft on a car.

Take a15 foot  pole and hold it in your hands and spread your hands apart 5
feet and let someone grap the end.   Then do the same with your hands 1 foot
apart.   I think that you can feel the change.

Granted, I am not a P.E. But I have been climbing and installing towers for a
long time.   I cannot give you the dynamic equations of why it is better, I
just know WHAT WORKS from experance.