[TowerTalk] Two "identical" antennas AREN'T

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Two "identical" antennas AREN'T
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider, N3RR)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 15:07:54 +0100
Dave,

Several things:

As the VSWR rises when the antenna is raised, what happens to the resonant
freq?  Does it rise as well?

What's wrong with a 1.4:1 VSWR??? - Nothing - I submit, if it holds at the top
of the tower.

Another way to test this antenna is to elevate the antenna vertically, with
the reflector down and the directors up, boom vertical, held away from metal
objscts (like the tower) with the reflector at least 4 feet off the ground. In
that position, the VSWR, resonant freq  measured will be identical to that
measured when the antenna is horizontal at 1/2 or higher wavelength above the
ground.I have made this measurement many many times.  It works just fine.
That's what I'd do in your circumstances since you say it's an antenna of your
own design.

I don't have the following info, which might alter my recommendation if I knew
them:

What is the ultimate height of the antenna(s).  Will they be stacked?  Are
there other antennas on the tower?  Either near the 20 ft test height or
higher/lower?  You refer to "imperical recomendations of the manufacturer",
yet you say it's your own design.  What do you mean?

Bill, N3RR