[TowerTalk] Yagi refurbishing aides

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yagi refurbishing aides
From: k4oj@ij.net (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 01:42:24 -0400
Two tools used recently were very effective in easing rebuilding of a "new
to me" yagi antenna.

Where the telescoping aluminum pieces overlap, there needs to be good
contact (GOOD CONTACT) - when rebuilding an antenna previously built to
less than "Towertalkian" standards these two goodies can be a real time and
labor saver.

There are two mating surfaces, one where the outer needs to be nice and
clean, and one where the inner needs to be same.

A new to me tool this time for use on the outer surfaces for their cleanup
was a 3M product bought at the local Home Depot.

The Scotch-Brite Finishing Sander is a paddle wheel of sandpaper on a stem
which chucks up in your electric VSR drill....in between the layers of
sandpaper is a spongy material which keeps the sand paper "out there".

I bought two of these, the Fine

P/N  9416MA

and the Medium

P/N  9415NA

.....I like both but think the fine probably would be sufficient for most
work.  Cost was about six bucks and it lasted through a rebuild of a 4 Ele
20, with a little life left.

The other tool was from the plumbing venue...

When a plumber needs to prepare a fitting for sweat soldering a piece of
copper into it he uses a round wire brush on a handle to clean out the
inside of the fitting.  I found these at a plumbing house, and was so
ecstatic about finding them I bought a bunch of them in assorted sizes...I
got eight of them and the total bill including tax was less than 20
bucks........these are a must!

Cleaning the outside of a tube can be done without the tool first mentioned
above...cleaning the inside of a tube has traditionally been a royal
pain....these wire brushes were just the ticket.

In an afternoon an entire antenna's elements were completely refurbished to
new standards..the tubing was like new when the Noalox went on, and the
rivets went in...I feel that the antenna might as well be a new one thanks
to the job these two tools allowed me to do.

I highly recommend anyone getting a handful of the wire brushes and one of
these sanding wheels before their next project......needless to say, after
brushing and sanding, the surfaces where wiped down with a rag to remove
and residual grit, residue.

Try it - you'll like it!

73,

Jim, K4OJ
k4oj@ij.net

Less than 2 months until Sweepstakes CW, make sure you work me so you will
not miss the elusive South Floirda multiplier!

Proud member of the Florida Contest Group - visit our website at:
http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

The Florida Contest Group sponsors the Florida QSO Party, check out the FQP
website@:
http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm