[TowerTalk] End Fed 1\2 Wave HF Vertical Questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] End Fed 1\2 Wave HF Vertical Questions
From: Guy Olinger, K2AV" <k2av@qsl.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 00:16:13 -0400
This is my favorite, first-up antenna: 140 feet of wire, from the ground up
as high as can, (usually 50-65 feet & rest out as high as can get it. At the
bottom fed with a "tank coil" network, or a 9:1 or 16:1 torroid transformer.
Tuner in shack if needed.

Has a great omni pattern for 80/75, just the ticket for local SSB,
Sweepstakes, etc. On 40 meters, it's like a dipole made up of the horizontal
part, with the vertical section as a single wire feedline (I know it's not
intuitive, check the modeling). If broadside NE/SW, it's a nice DX antenna
for 40. If you add radials and some switching, you can turn it into a bent
1/4 wave for 160.

On 80 & 40, the feedpoint is high impedance and a simple ground rod will
suffice to feed against. Be sure to put an isolator between the matching
network and the coax.

73, y'all.  Guy.

Guy L. Olinger
k2av@qsl.net