[TowerTalk] Mast alignment was:refurbish a Thrust bearing?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast alignment was:refurbish a Thrust bearing?
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 09:22:12 -0400
At 12:30 PM 9/15/98 -0400, Jim White, K4OJ wrote:
>NOW, couple that with the bolt coming in FROM ONE SIDE ONLY on your pointy
>top (part your hair to the side, to make it less noticeable) and at one
>point of the rotor's rotational cycle you are at the "low spot" where the
>mast is the furthest in one direction off center...lets call it
>North....you then tighten your pointy top bolt.
>
>When the rotor turns 180 degrees to the South, the mast will still continue
>to be rotating eccentrically and now it is eccentric favoring the "high
>spot" - and your pointy top bolt is causing all kinds of havoc at rotor
>level because the mast is being forced sideways by the bolt, putting
>leverage on the rotor bell......

Ah, now I understand.  The bolt is backed out unless and until you need to
remove the rotator.  No reason in the world you'd need to have it even in
the hole except to protect the threads from crud.  The pointy top has at
least 1/8 inch slop with my Rohn mast.

73,  Pete Smith N4ZR
In wild, wonderful, only middlin' rare WEST Virginia