[TowerTalk] whats it for ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] whats it for ?
From: rpierce@trxinc.com (Ron Pierce)
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 08:34:13 -0500
What is the purpose of the L/C network which I found right at the base of
an old vertical which I am attempting to convert to an honest antenna as in
a 6 meter ground plane,just for fun. Burried in glop on the back side of
the SO-239 running from the center conductor to ground was a small ferrite
core wrapped with about 12 turns of enameled wire .Across the coil was a
small SM capicator(very small) as in<50 pf.
As you may have guessed this is an old CB antenna which sometimes is an
excellent source of aluminum. I had never seen a CB antennas mfg go to this
much trouble on an antenna and wondered what this addition was for.
Need less to say both inductor and capicator go to ground. And of course
the center conductor of the SO-239 went on up to the vertical radiator.
Comment from the experts would be appreciated.
73s de NI0L
RON