[TowerTalk] 80/160M antenna help

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80/160M antenna help
From: kr6c@juno.com (Charles R Constantine)
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 21:42:42 PDT
Hi, I want to install a simple antenna that can be used on both 80 & 160.
 My main objective is to try and work some DX with it.

I live in track housing and my yard is approx 40x60.
I have a 35' tower with a c4sxl at 43' and a home brew 3 el beam for the
warc bands at 35
The warc antenna has a boom of 10' and elements approx 27' fed with
ladderline.
I also have two 2mtr antennas mounted on top and one uses a hairpin match
so both the
center cond and shield of this coax are at DC potential, other is gamma
matched.
To the east of the tower is concrete slab, to the north is the house, to
the south is 23' of lawn
and to the west is 30' of lawn (not much room for radials)
I also live in the desert so ground conductivity not too good.

My thoughts are...
(A)     Install a half sloper wire approx 70' long to the front corner of
house for 80 then either switch in a
inductor at the feed for 160 or run a linear loading section horizontal
along the fence line
at the other end and switch it in and out with a knife switch.
(B)     Run four approx 50' sloping wires from the tower down to the
corners of the yard as a top hat and feed
the tower at the base directly ( Not sure what effect sloping wires would
have on beam swr and
problem laying only some short radials)
(C)    Try some kind of an inverted L  (figure only 35' vertical section)

I would appreciate any input you may have.

73 Chuck KR6C

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]