[TowerTalk] Gladiator 80 meter vertical - part II

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Gladiator 80 meter vertical - part II
From: w1vxv@mail.gwi.net (w1vxv@mail.gwi.net)
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 06:43:30 -0400
Earlier this month I posted my experiences in erecting an 80-meter
vertical, the Gladiator TL80M Mark II, which is 38 feet tall with four 66
foot radials.  (For specs, see the website:   In order to protect the antenna
and radials from grandchildren and deer (or is it the other way around!), I
had mounted the antenna and the radials ten feet off the ground.  I said
at the time of the posting that I was waiting for the CQWW RTTY
contest before trying to summarize how well it worked.

Those of you on the air last weekend  know that the band was
recovering from a solar storm Friday night/Saturday morning, so
conditions could have been better (or worse!).  In my case I was
comparing this antenna to a 80 meter Windom mounted only 50 feet off
the ground, and to a 40 meter sloper attached to the top of my 50 foot
tower.  In all cases I used and continue to use an antenna tuner.  The
Windom was of course not mounted at optimum height, but there is only
so much you can do on a residential lot; both are admittedly mediocre
antennas.

I am pleased to report that the antenna played well; with 100 watts, I was
able to work into Europe and South America and throughout the U.S. on
80 meters.  Then a bonus: I was also able to work Europe, South America,
and Africa on 40 meters as well as numerous U.S. stations.  The Gladiator
also worked on 20 meters, but was of course out-played by my tri-
bander.  I did hear Hawaii on both 40 and 80 but never was successful at
making the contact.  Since I was not active for the entire contest period
this may have been partly a matter of bad timing.

In summary I am very pleased.  I am able to hear and work stations in
areas that I have not been able to hear on the other antennas, and the xyl
and I are pleased with the appearance of the Gladiator.  I would
recommend it to others who are considering a vertical.  As an aside if I
were to ?do it all over again? and particularly if clean appearance were
very important, I might consider using the center-loaded model instead
of this model which uses four wires attached to the top of the vertical.
Prior to any decision however, I would want to poll the users here for
their experiences both good and bad!

Bob - W1VXV