[TowerTalk] Tower Base and rebar

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Base and rebar
From: w5robert@blkbox.com (Robert W5AJ)
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 23:06:24 -0500
on my base for a 77foot self supporter we bored a 7 to 8 foot hole.  (the
driller just wanted to drill deeper!)  We hit sand (an underground river bed?)
after boring through several feet of near solid coastal "gumbo".  I took my
rebar structure and threw it in centering it best I could.  Direct into the
sand - no one could safety enter this hole to work it & I suspect the rebar
would have pushed any 2x4 supports into the sand.  Water level came up about a
foot before the cement truck arrived.  GL, Robert W5AJ