[TowerTalk] B&W Broadband dipole: epilogue

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] B&W Broadband dipole: epilogue
From: rodman@acsu.buffalo.edu (D. Rodman, MD)
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 17:05:50 -0400 (EDT)
Last week many readers responded to my inquiry about B&W dipoles.  The
reasonably favorable return message.

I still put one up.  I only have space on my property for a 40 m size
dipole, so I used the 5-30 MHz antenna.  I called the manufacturer for
advice and installed the antenna in a VEE pattern.  One end is 30', center
about 40', other end about 25'.  There is a PVC standoff on the tower.  I
fed my coax switch with a short piece of Flexi 4XL.

VSWR is good at lower freqs, but there are characteristic humps as freq
approaches 30 MHz.  The antenna runs E/W in wire direction.

I made several CW contacts, Martinique on 20m, Russia and Germany on 40 m.
All QSOs were made easily on first call and in some instances others
were also calling the DX stations too.  I felt like a novice again making
40 m into Europe with a dipole and 100 watts.  It was fun.

I added at least 4 bands, I could not operate previously with one simple
wire antenna.  It is all I can fit and it obviously works well enough to
suit my situation.

Thanks, to all who responded!  I saved some of the antenna ideas just
in case this does not meet my needs in the future.  73, Dave.