[TowerTalk] Bentonite? (longish)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bentonite? (longish)
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 18:45:40 -0700

Yes indeed.  Bentonite clay is very interesting stuff.  But there
is one caveat for using it as a grounding electrode backfill.  It
does swell when it is moistened.  But it also contracts when it
dries out.  For those of us who live in a dry climate, this means
that the fill can shrink away from both the hole and the
conductor.  This is not a good thing.

There is a mix of chemicals to be used for grounding electrode
backfill that avoids this problem for the most part.  I believe
it is even available as premix in bags.  But unfortunately, I
don't have the proper name (yet) to search for.  So, this week
when I did the earth terminals for my new QTH, I had the drilling
company buy the separate components and we mixed them on site.
The formula is:

75% Gypsum

20% Bentonite Clay

 5% Sodium Sulfate

I believe this is available from galvanic protection distributors
and is known as "standard galvanic anode backfill".  I'll know
for sure in a day or two.  I'm tired of trying to mix these
powders on a windy site and we'll be needing a lot more for the
conductor trench.  If I locate a trade name, I'll post it here.

Anyhow, it works this way...  The gypsum absorbs and retains
water.  So the moisture level seen by the bentonite in the mix
does not vary enough to cause the shrinkage problems.  The Gypsum
has very little expansion or shrinkage due to external moisture
level variations and it improves the conductivity of the mix.
There is enough Bentonite so that the expansion of the Bentonite
still operates to pressurize the electrode and hole walls for
good contact.  For this to work, the mix must be put in dry and
then have moisture added.  The sodium sulfite is probably not
strictly necessary in a system with no continuous source of DC
current for the earth terminal.  But it helps prevent polarizing
the earth terminal if there is some DC flow.

73, Eric  N7CL