[TowerTalk] Winch For Crank-Up & Tilt Over

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Winch For Crank-Up & Tilt Over
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 23:09:10 EDT
In a message dated 98-10-07 22:06:13 EDT, pmcinnish@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< Pound for pound, etc., this structural grade (expensive $200 +) 'stick' is
many,
 many times stronger than steel!  Also, to approach the capabilities of this
 material, steel would be many times heavier and will bend to crimp/crease
 easier... NO flex! Without flex, something gotta give!

       Uh, what structural grade? Specs? Some specifics please before I'll
consider this more than anecdotal. There is a higher strength aluminum but it
is only about 45K psi, far below that of useful steel tubing.

     Please describe your aformentioned installations: how much mast was
sticking up in the air? Where were the big yagis mounted? Stack
configurations?

      Summit County, OH, is a 70 MPH windspeed zone - the lowest rating they
give. The fact that your VHF/UHF antenna system survived is no testiment to
your engineering or tower building prowess.

 >>I cannot imagine the weight of a 24' piece of steel in the air, on top of
my
 tower, with all the wind loading,  that would weigh as much as it does.
Scary!  >>

      You need to raise your vision and your skills to fully appreciate the
implications of your statements.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC