[TowerTalk] Ginpole Kit

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ginpole Kit
From: shueyj@epix.net (Joe Shuey)
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 12:39:25 -0400
Terry, be very careful of the material you choose.  Many materials will hold
the vertical lift of tower sections. The important part is the side load.
That is, consider very carefully how much mast will be sticking above the
clamp and how much side loading is required.  If you are lifting 100 pound
sections ( Rohn 55 ) and they are being hauled up by a ground crew with a tag
line, it is very easy to have 100 pound force of side load.  Then consider
how much length must be above the clamp to accomplish the job. Use the same
type calculations as in selecting a mast.  These strength  issues must be
balanced against the weight of the gin pole assembly itself. I used 2" OD,
.093" wall Chrome Moly Tubing ( 4130 ) in a 17' length for my gin pole.  It
is HEAVY, but has tackled many jobs without incidence.

GL and be careful - homebuilt gear requires that you are responsible and
liable if anything goes wrong!

73!