[TowerTalk] Yagi Oddities

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yagi Oddities
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher, W4AN)
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 20:22:05 -0400

Wednesday I discovered my top 6 element 15 meter yagi was suddenly resonant
at 20.7Mhz.  It is an OWA design (close spaced 1st director, 50ohm feed).

I went up there today intending to swap out the balun and the coax which I
did.  This did not cure the problem.

In the process of tipping the antenna down and back up again I noticed that
the SWR curve was normal again when I tipped the antenna up toward the sky
or down toward the ground.  Somewhere around a 45 degree angle produced a
normal SWR curve.  When it approached flat, the SWR went up again.  I can't
for the life of me figure out what could be causing this problem.  I
checked all of the hose clamps on the elements and they were solid.

I've taken the antenna down to the ground and tomorrow I will rebuild it.
If anyone has any ideas about what the cause could be, please drop me a line.

73

Bill - W4AN - K4AAA

Bill Fisher, W4AN (EX KM9P)
http://www.contesting.com